I’ve done so much so far in 2017, yet I’ve documented very little of it. Here’s a brief little update of the books I’ve read, the concerts I’ve attended, some fresh finds, what I’ve been up to in terms of writing and where the rest of 2017 is set to take me.
Currently reading: Testament of Youth by Vera Brittain
I’m falling a bit behind on my reading schedule lately due to all the writing I’ve been doing, but I’m still determined to complete 60 books this year. Some of the books I’ve read so far this year have been the best I’ve ever read, particularly the works of Graham Greene – who is fast on his way to becoming my favourite author.
- The Great Gatsby
- The Trial
- To The Lighthouse
- Brighton Rock
- The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and other stories
- An Unfinished Revolution: Karl Marx and Abraham Lincoln
- Bit of a Blur – Alex James
- Howards End is on the Landing: A Year of Reading From Home
- The Pat Hobby Stories
- Tales of the Jazz Age
- Mr Manchester and the Factory Girl: The Story of Tony and Lindsay Wilson
- Scorched Earth, Black Snow: Britain and Australia in the Korean War, 1950
- The End of the Affair
- Old Goriot
- Autobiography – Morrissey
Also, I’ve had a Great Gatsby essay stowed away since the start of the year which I plan to polish up and post, so keep an eye out for that.
Taking Back Sunday / Muncie Girls / Frank Iero and the Patience
Creeper / Milk Teeth / Energy / Puppy
All Time Low / SWMRS / Waterparks
- Fresh Finds
Waterparks ~ SWMRS ~ Cabbage
I wasn’t so sure about Waterparks at first, but after hearing Royal I fell completely and unashamedly in love with them. Seeing them support All Time Low also helped further cement this adoration.
I had tried listening to SWMRS a while ago but for some reason they didn’t take back then. However, since seeing them the other month, I have been completely won over, and I can’t understand why I wasn’t instantly sucked in.
There has been some controversy surrounding Cabbage lately, but standing aside from all that, their music is beyond solid. I love their general aesthetic and the themes they cover in their songs.
- New Job!
I have recently started writing for Movie Pilot – a film/popular culture website powered by the Creators.Co blogging site. I have just been promoted to Verified Creator which means my work is able to reach a wider audience and I get to make a little money in the process.
Give my profile a gander creators.co/@TETurner96
In other big news, I thought I’d give this year’s Wicked Young Writer Award competition a go and entered a new piece I had written entitled ‘Paths’. I was pleasantly surprised and chuffed to bits to find out that I had made the top 20 finalists! I can honestly say I will be content whatever the outcome, but I will find out the results at an award ceremony in London later this month.
Still to Come
- London – for the Wicked Young Writer award ceremony. Expect a vlog of the day.
- Green Day – Dreams do come true.
- University – I’ll be trying my hand at being a student again this September, but at a different uni. I already have a great feeling about it this time around.